I want this thread to be like an in depth a debate for the IGI 2 and IGI 1 hardcore fans out there, so please post your opinions.
First of all, I'll try to give to give my insights on the IGI 2 Covert Strike missions from Ukraine, Lybia, the Spratley Islands, China and i'll also try to mention the aspects that worked IMO and the and the aspects that [again imo] didn't really worked for the game. So here we go:
1) Infiltration - This is a perfect opener. Great cold night atmosphere, great layout with a very cool enemy compound. It's a very basic mission, with a simple infiltration, it's easy to avoid detection. Overall very good introduction to the game
2) Deep In The Mines - Again, amazing atmosphere (here the deep underground mine drilling sounds worth every penny imo). This mission rules because you learn how incredibly sensitive the enemies can be compared to the first game (where they were really dumb sometimes). Given the fact that you can finish the mission with only one certain victim that mission rules in my book. And the action on the full-speed driving trains in the long tunnel just fucking slays.
3) The Weather Station - The only "cold snowy russian winter" type of mission from IGI 2. Needless to say i was a huge fan of the winter missions from IGI 1 and this new one is great too. The enviroment and the landscapes are truly fantastic, great music too and wind sounds and heavy snowfall towards the end of the mission..etc. The mission it's pretty linear in itself and can be resolved with massive shootouts but i still like it. alot.
4) Bridge Across The Dnestr - IMO this is where the developers totally fucked up. This mission is really poorly designed (the graphics rule as always but that's another thing), the plot is illogical and the violence required is pointless and over-the-top = You need to kill at least 10-15 people to finish this mission. What sucks is how there's like only one entry and one exit from the main compound [unless you wanna get out through the back where you entered], one entry and one exit from the main building with the explosives and the ridiculous idea that you have to steal the detonator that's on a box that's literally surrounded with like 6-10 enemies just doesn't make sense to me.. Then you go to plant the four bombs and at the other end of the bridge there are some snipers who never see you! really pointless stupid mission. Could've been done alot better. Also there is no "avoiding camera suspense" which sucks.
5) Ambush - This is where you have to do massive amounts of shooting & killing. If you finished the previous mission with enough amunition then it's not gonna be a problem. The enemy soldiers are just waiting near the few trucks and there's also a ridiculously stupid APC. I took 2 Dragunov rifles from the idiot snipers across the bridge so...no problem.
Another major flaw is that enemy reinforcements arrive only after you complete the final objective and run to the extraction point so they're totally pointless. I think you should've had a time limit after in this mission in other words, you should've been forced to act out real quick before the reinforcement helicopters would land and kill you.
6) Production Facility - Classic IGI man!! truly classic. I've spend so much time trying to figure out wich enemyies should i snipe first and how to aproach things..it had a real blast. This is the mission that reminds me of the first IGI the most. And the ending cut-scene were Quest and White betray you was really cool. I never like the fuckers in the first place. Very good plot IMO.
7) Border Crossing - nice on-the-run type of mission with a lot of otherwise necessary crouching, sneaking and hiding and this is where we go to another major flaw of the game: It's very cool that you can hid in a bush but it's really unexplainable how several times i managed to slaughter like over 20 enemy soldiers that were running around and even through the same bush i was hiding in!! That shit was unreal. I was firing my AK47 at guys that were 1-2 meters away and nobody could see me just because i was in a fucking bush..come on! Overall the mission has absolutely nothing on the first classic Border Crossing from IGI 1.
well that's it for now. I'll post the second and third parts later..